Soon you will be bombarded by messages about “New Year, New You” and how important it is to take the world by storm right at the beginning of the new year. You’ll be shown all kinds of ways that you can improve and grow and get yourself into shape and overhaul your personal and business life.
It’s seductive, this feeling of a clean slate. It is exciting to have a new start.
Setting goals and targets can be useful, but if you are not careful it can also leave you feeling anxious and low – have you noticed how these two often come together?
Self development and growth, reflecting and learning new skills are important, but we often do this from a place of feeling ‘not enough’, ‘less than’ or out of fear.
And you can end up feeling that you are not good enough, you are a failure and there is something wrong with you because you are not perfect and living this self disciplined, blissful successful life.
But it is also ok to simply be yourself, and not to think that you need to do or be something more to make yourself more valuable or worthy.
Being yourself is one of those things that is simple but not easy. Learning how to be happy in your own skin is something you need to learn and practise. Knowing how to be kind to yourself and value yourself as you are is a skill.
So imagine what it would be like if there was nothing wrong with you?
If you could grow and make changes to your life without having to feel negative, judgemental or anxious about yourself?
To feel good about yourself and be able to make changes from a positive place?
Getting out of your own way is the key to happiness and making long lasting changes and living life with purpose and integrity.
OVER TO YOU:
- Don’t put yourself under pressure to be perfect. Strive for excellence instead.
- Stop thinking that you will be able to be happy and relaxed when I have achieved this, that or the other. You can only feel happy now. Don’t put it off until the cupboards are tidy or the house is clean, you have lost weight, got fit, have a clear desk or full diary.
- Do not confuse self esteem with status, that more is always better and that constant improvement is the Holy Grail.
- Stop comparing yourself to an ideal or falling short of other people’s expectations. Focus on what you want and can do wherever you are right now.
- You may not achieve all the things you set out to do. We all achieve some and not others – life happens, and you are only human after all! Acknowledge your successes and what you do achieve….all the time.
Make next year the year you learn to like and accept yourself and stop feeling that you have to be better at anything at all.
Once you get all your judgement and self criticism out of the way you will be amazed at the progress you make in your life….. and how much happier you will be.
Now there’s a challenge for you!!